OFT is Hiring for the Summer!
Are you passionate about farmland, local food, and farmland protection? Do you enjoy outreach and talking to people at events? Join the OFT team for the summer!
We are currently focusing on increasing our membership base, so a large portion of the summer student’s responsibilities will include attending events and promoting our mission through outreach. Job duties will include:
Community Events (40%)
- – Researching and attending various events to recruit new members including setting up, staffing displays, and interacting with the public
- – Planning events including our Annual General Meeting and celebrations on recently protected farms
Outreach and Engagement (30%)
- – Going door to door and engaging with the public about the need for farmland protection
- – Researching and writing regular blog posts and newsletters
- – Managing and updating the website, including developing new content
- – Taking photographs and writing stories about our protected farms
- – Creating and implementing social media strategies for Facebook and Twitter
- – Researching and writing grant applications to various foundations
- – Creatively writing appeals to prospective and current donors
- – Assisting with seasonal mailings
- – Investigating opportunities for sponsorship
Office Tasks (10%)
- – Responding to phone calls, emails, and general inquiries about our programs
- – Data entry and improving office organization
- – Researching and reviewing various municipal policies related to farmland protection
- – Writing draft policy submissions when appropriate
- – Researching and compiling information on the various benefits of land protection
Required Skills & Attributes
- – Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- – Strong interpersonal skills
- – Motivated and reliable
- – Strong time-management and organizational skills
- – Able to work independently
- – Team-player with a positive attitude and commitment to working cooperatively with others
- – Experience in fundraising considered an asset
- – Hands-on experience using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- – Passionate about agriculture, farmland protection and land conservation
- – Career interests and post-secondary studies in agriculture science, environmental science, land conservation, land use planning, communications, marketing, fundraising development, or a related field.
- – Access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license (some work and events will occur offsite). When required to drive offsite, mileage will be paid.
- – A sense of humour
Additional Information: We have a small staff complement of less than three full time staff. Students will have a high level of responsibility and accountability right from the start. We pride ourselves in having a culture that facilitates communication, creativity, and professional development. We work with each student throughout the summer to ensure they are gaining experience relevant to their future career goals.
This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program, which requires the candidate to be:
- – Between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- – Registered as a full time student during the preceding academic year and intending to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
- – A student in a post-secondary program;
- – A Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person with refugee protection;
- – Legally entitled to work in Canada.
Hiring preference will be given to aboriginal students or students of a visible minority, who meet the program requirements listed above and exemplify the skills and attributes OFT is looking for.
Details: $15 hourly wage, 30 hours per week for 16 weeks, beginning May 7, 2018. The weekly schedule will vary, as occasional evening and weekend work will be required.
Please note: This position is subject to funding approval through Canada Summer Jobs.
Location: OFT office at the University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario
To Apply: Please forward your cover letter, resume, and references (in one document) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday March 12, 2018, 5pm EST. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.