Did you know that the Greenbelt protects over two million acres of land and 37% of this acreage is farmland? Contrary to various misconceptions, the Greenbelt offers many benefits to farmers, the agricultural sector, and food security. Here are five reasons why!
- Over the past 10 years, farmland values across the Greenbelt have consistently increased by 10% or more per year.
- Farmers in the Greenbelt have been successful for many years and new generations of farmers will have this same opportunity because of the Greenbelt’s strength in establishing permanent boundaries.
- Since 2005, the Greenbelt has stopped over 24,000 acres of land from being taken out of its protection.
- Different rules for farm businesses are built into the Greenbelt’s provincial policies to protect agricultural land, prevent farmland fragmentation, and protect the viability of the agricultural sector.
- The Greenbelt provides unique ecosystem services, such as flood management and carbon sequestration that will help farmers adapt to climate change.
With a growing population in the Greater Golden Horseshoe, support for the Greenbelt is essential. One of the Greenbelt’s primary purposes is protecting farmland and with it, Ontarians are ensured a healthy, sustainable, and food-secure future.
To learn more, please visit https://www.greenbelt.ca/learn