OFT Summer Student Job Opportunity
Farmland Program Assistant (2 positions available)
Job Duties: The Summer Student will work with OFT’s Executive Director, staff, and volunteers. We are currently focusing on increasing our membership base; a large portion of the student’s responsibilities will include attending events and promoting our mission through outreach. Job duties will include:
Community Outreach & Engagement (70%)
- – Attending various events to recruit new members and promote OFT’s mission, including setting up, staffing displays, and interacting with the public
- – Going door to door and engaging with the public about the need for farmland protection
- – Planning events including our Annual General Meeting and community celebrations on recently protected farms
Farm Site Visits (10%)
- – Attending farm site visits with staff
- – Taking photographs and creating route maps during site visits
- – Drafting monitoring reports to document the conditions at each site
Office Tasks (20%)
- – Creating and implementing social media strategies for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- – Creatively writing appeals to prospective and current donors, assisting with seasonal mailings
- – Researching and writing regular blog posts and newsletters
- – Data entry and improving office organization
Required Skills & Attributes:
- – Outgoing and enthusiastic personality
- – Passionate about agriculture, farmland protection and land conservation
- – Strong interpersonal skills
- – Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- – Motivated and reliable
- – Able to work independently
- – Team-player with a positive attitude and commitment to working cooperatively with others
- – Experience in fundraising considered an asset
- – Career interests and post-secondary studies in agriculture science, environmental science, land conservation, land use planning, communications, marketing, fundraising development, or a related field
- – Access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license (some work and events will occur offsite). When required to drive offsite, mileage will be paid
- – A sense of humour
Additional Information: We have a small staff complement of three full time staff. Students will have a high level of responsibility and accountability right from the start. We pride ourselves in having a culture that facilitates communication, creativity, and professional development. We work with each student throughout the summer to ensure they are gaining experience relevant to their future career goals.
Details: $15 hourly wage, 30 hours per week for 12 weeks, beginning May 21, 2019. The weekly schedule will vary, as occasional evening and weekend work will be required.
This position is funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program, which requires the candidate to:
- – Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- – Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person with refugee protection;
- – Have a valid Social Insurance Number and be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Hiring preference will be given to aboriginal students or students of a visible minority, who meet the program requirements listed above and exemplify the skills and attributes OFT is looking for.
Please note: This position is subject to funding approval through Canada Summer Jobs.
Location: OFT office at the University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario
To Apply: Please forward your cover letter, resume, and references (in one document) via e-mail to email@example.com by Thursday, March 14, 2019, 5pm EST. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Click here for a copy of the job description.