What is the future of farming and farmland protection in Ontario?
That was the question that almost 130 planners, councillors, students, and academics presented and discussed on March 30th in Orillia, Ontario, at the 2017 Farmland Forum. Together, we discussed Ontario’s future through a wide variety of topics, such as drawing experience from the Oregon State Department’s work in agricultural land protection, examining shifting trends in farmland ownership, and exploring Indigenous perspectives on farming and farmland preservation.
Thank you to our attendees and presenters, you made this annual event a success!
See our speaker’s presentations:
- Dan Longboat, Director of the Indigenous Environmental Studies and Science Program, Trent University
- Brady Deaton, Food, Agricultural & Resource Economics, University of Guelph
- Lisa Courtney Lloyd, VP Marketing, Bonnefield
- David Connell, University of Northern British Columbia
- Wayne Caldwell, Sara Epp, and James Newlands, University of Guelph
- See a short video from their presentation here.
- Daniel Saurette, Land Resource Specialist, OMAFRA
- Arthur Churchyard, Policy Advisor, OMAFRA
- Peggy Brekveld, Vice President, Ontario Federation of Agriculture
- Jim Johnson, Oregon Department of Agriculture
Thank you to our 2017 Forum Supporters: